Alabama Sales Tax Holiday 2016 for school-related items begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday, Aug. 5, 2016, and ends at midnight Sunday Aug. 7, 2016, giving shoppers the opportunity to purchase certain school supplies, computers, books and clothing free of the state’s four percent sales or use tax.
Cities and counties must notify the Alabama Department of Revenue by July 7th if they intend to also waive their taxes during the three-day tax holiday. A record 291 localities added their tax savings to the statewide holiday in 2014: 233 municipalities and 58 counties. Alabama Free Tax Weekend Back to School 2016.
- Quick Reference for Tax Free and Taxed Items during the August Sales Tax Holiday
A handy reference to print out and place beside cash registers, post in stores, compare to your shopping list or use as a reference while shopping.
- 2016 Participating Cities & Counties
- 2016 Sales Tax Holiday Facts
- A Retailer Sales Tax Holiday Primer
- Promotional Poster for Retailers (print quality)
- Revenue Department Presentation on Sales Tax Holiday
The Alabama Department of Revenue and Alabama Retail Association in cooperation with the Chamber of Commerce Association of Alabama put together this presentation to explain the law to businesses and answer any questions regarding how the sales tax holiday works.
- Sales Tax Holiday Rule 810-6-3-.65
- Sales Tax Holiday Act No. 2006-574
Read about Alabama’s severe weather preparedness sales tax holiday